Saturday, August 20, 2011

Simply Rahat!

I always blog after a concert or something and that's not going to change.
I went for "Simply Rahat" a concert by Ustad Rahat Fateh Ali Khan at Suntec Convention Hall and BOY DID I ENJOY IT!!

It was so so awesome and what made it even BETTER was the fact that I knew almost all the songs that he sang! I was sitting there and I realised that a lot of the songs that I love, are sung by him. I just love his voice and what he can do with his voice and the fact that he does hindi film songs as well as Qawwali songs just tells you his amazing range of ability.

The set was extremely simple, just the stage with the musicians. Rahat and his backup vocals and the tabla players were all seated on carpets on the floor with the other musicians around them, either standing or in chairs. He didn't have like a fancy programme or whatever, it was just him singing the songs. What I loved was that after it was quite apparent that the audience was a bit sedate, he actually very politely told us that we're quite quiet and its nice for the musicians to hear response from the audience, so they know whether they're doing it well or not and I was glad because I didn't know what kind of a performer he was so I too as an audience member didn't really get into the full groove of it till he said that. After that, the audience was quite quite appreciative which I like. As I've said before, audience behaviour is a big thing with me and bad behaviour or unappreciative behaviour can ruin a night for me. He sang some of my absolute favourites like Main Jahan Rahoon, Sajda, and Dil To Baccha Hai Ji as well as O Re Piya. I was so happy he sang the Qawwali number, Mera Piya Ghar Aaya!

You can see though when he was singing the ghazals and the qawwali songs,that its more challenging but also that he enjoys it more than the hindi film songs. And when the performer is enjoying the performance itself, that too makes me happy! I mean he was smiling and genuinely having fun!

The only thing I regret is not being able to understand Hindi though because he did the ghazals and when he was singing them, like people were responding and Mama was laughing and enjoying it because she understood but I didn't so I just focused on the music part and not the words. So that did make me feel a little sad but Mama told me some of what he was saying so that was okay. I wouldn't say I'm a great expert on music but I like listening to it and I like to dance so music's important for dancing. So when he does those difficult bits in the Qawwali songs and ghazals, I'm genuinely impressed because I've never seen anyone do it so fast! I can't even imagine someone doing chakars to the beat he makes! *chakars: the spins in kathak* Sigh. I had a glorious time honestly, except the part where he was singing Mast Qalandar, the last song and like people were leaving, obviously because they heard Tere Mast Mast Do Nain. I mean yes it was past midnight but COMEON you already have to pay midnight charge, just stay for the last song proper and not OFFEND the artist! I can't stand it when people leave before the performer's done. Plus, the last bit was amazing and so fun because he was going so fast and it was so upbeat!
Sigh. ridiculous. and RUDE.

anyway, I'm quite tired but that's my gushing done about Rahatji's show.It was fun fun fun and my seats were pretty great considering the low price and hey, awesome vocals and technology means that I could hear EVERYTHING even though I was so far away so HA!
I'm so happy:)

shini

No comments:

Post a Comment

feel free to comment!