Tuesday, December 8, 2009

Suicide

My dad was watching this program today, I have NO idea how he finds these programmes, but yeah, anyway, and I happened to be in the dining area, eating my special K. So I was listening to it, and they were talking about the one of the supposed deadly sins, sloth. Something about how it started out as really BEING a sin, but over time, and with the opinons of different people along the way, it became not so much as a moral thing, but as a physical ailment. Some called it melancholy and others depression.

Suicide was apparently connected to sloth and they also talked about how suicide was the ultimate sin. Now, suicide is considered a sin, not only Christianity but other religions as well, though I don't know the specifics. I was pondering about this little bit of fact I just heard about and well, I don't quite think that suicide is the ULTIMATE sin.

Yes I do agree that suicide is still the killing of a life, albeit it is yours. And I do think that life should be treasured not wasted over things that can be solved. Each life is important, and everyone is unique, so when someone dies, something unique and special is being removed from the world. So yeah, I can understand why people would believe that suicide is the ultimate sin.

Suicide often is the easier option, because well death, compared to what you may have to deal with in life seems like solace. For example, with euthanasia, where relatives have to decide whether or not to pull the plug, some relatives will argue that instead of drawing out the patient's life, being pumped full of drugs, that the patient can barely move or even recognise his or her loved ones, it is better to let them sleep, forever. Of course this is a different situation, but you know what I mean. Think about it, if your life is so full of drudgery, and depression and just plain bad things and you're being tortured on a regular basis, either mentally, emotionally or physically, then death is looking pretty good at the moment. Of course I can also see that suicide does seem like the cowardly thing to do. Instead of facing your problems and whatever mess you might have created, you're running away, to where noone can find you, supposedly leaving behind the problems. Unfortunately, often you're also leaving behind the problems for other people to solve, which is extremely unfair and it is maybe from this point of view that suicide is bad, because the person committing suicide is running away from the problems and is being selfish and dumping his or her problems onto another person, a loved one.

However I do also think that while its seen as a cowardly thing to do, I also think to actually take your life, is a hard thing to do. In the movies and all that they make it seem that its easy to kill yourself. There are numerous ways to do it. You could shoot yourself, though you'd have to find a gun first and well, that's quite hard to do in Singapore. You could slit your wrists, but people never do it right and just end up passing out with a lot of blood around them and not actually dying. Hanging is another option, and with Singapore's flats mostly having ceiling fans, its actually pretty easy. Things like suffocating yourself, is hard, cuz you gotta do it yourself; you have to actually bring yourself to do it. In this case, pulling the trigger and slicing your jugular open (apparently is a more effective way of doing it, but of course I don't condone it and I don't actually know) is extremely difficult to do cuz you have to make yourself do it.

People also think that overdosing on pills is the easiest way of killing yourself, but you see, its not 100% positive, as in, it would take time and people can find you and pump your stomach, and save you. Similarly, jumping off buildings, is also not a surefire way of suicide, cuz you've heard of people who jump off buildings and somehow still live, but they're 100 times worse off than before because they've got mega huge hospital bills, plenty of pain and a FAILED SUICIDE ATTEMPT, which means they'll be watched 24/7. So you see my point here? it does take some courage, in a way, to kill yourself.

Anyway, I would like to clarify here that I don't condone suicide, not do I want to commit suicide. I just have these opinions that I want to air on my blog. That's all.

Well, since I took so long to write this post, I've kinda lost my thread so I'll end this now.

shini

No comments:

Post a Comment

feel free to comment!