Thursday, February 19, 2009

Hotels

I will proclaim that i love hotels. i really really do. Today, i was walking my friend, let's call her D, to Tanglin Shopping Centre because she had a dentist appointment there. So after she went in i went in search of my bus stop to take me home. i came upon the St Regis hotel and i thought, well why don't i go in! So i did and the staff are so nice and polite. They didn't even ask me what the hell am i doing there or look at me funny! I didn't even need to actually go in. So i thought i'd check out their bathroom. Of course i didn't know where it was and for some reason I couldn't find the front desk(this part i thought was strange, they should work on that) and this man in a nice suit asked me if he could help me or not so i said, i was wondering where the ladies was and he actually brought me to the entrance! The toilet was very nice, with towels to wipe our hands and full lenth mirrors. A little small, if i compare it to the one in Mandarin Oriental, but still not bad. I had noting else to do and besides i had already cooled down and freshened myseld up so i had to go out. And still the doormen were very nice and said good afternoon! With smiles! If you want a boost of self-confidence, just head to your nearest 5-star hotel man!

The sad thing about the St Regis is that the exterior looks awful; so cold and unwelcoming. On the other hand, the interior is beautiful and very lush. The staff( the few i came into contact with) were poltie and helpful, all with smiles. I didn't have enough guts to ask them if they served high tea and if they did, around how much it was per head and what kind of buffet it was. Maybe my next stroll down Orchard road, i might have the courage to go in and ask.

This all may sound like the adventures of the idle, and while i'm not denying that i AM idle, I didn't go into the St Regis just because i had free time. I really do like hotels, especially 5-star ones(who doesn't?) and the whole concept that you pay for the kind of service you want. At hotels, people are very nice to you and always smiling. That sort of treatment cheers me up tremendously. Granted if we're looking at the glass half-empty, you can also say that such treatment is expected because they are paid to do that and if they weren't polite and helpful and smiling, they're probably be sacked. Well, yes all that is true, but I'm not a glass half empty sort of person, or at least not most of the time. Besides, once upon a time i thought of being a hotel manager too. That sort of fizzled out when i told my mother because she told me that the hotel industry is very hard; long hours and not equal pay tot eh amount of work you do. I still haven't given up on it, just put it aside. Hopefully my life is long and there will be time for that. And even if i can't manage a hotel, i can always visit them and even (if i earn so much), LIVE in one!!! as you can see i'm quite idealistic when it comes to my future.


The next hotel i want to see is the Fullerton. I've always wondered what it looks like on the inside. Although im also wondering how a post office can be SO BIG!!! that it becomes a hotel!!! I think i know why i like hotels so much. Hotels to me, represent the good times in life. Those times, when you're on holiday or you just want to take a break from living in your home, and you can afford to stay in a hotel, even if its just for a while. Its a form of escapism, the kind of escapism where you can spoil yourself silly. Hence, though I'm nto actually a guest in the hotel, just by going in, i feel happier( though in this heat it could be the air-conditioning that does the cheering up not the luxurious surroundings and he concept of thehotel).


Anyway, that's all i really wanted to talk about. That's all that actually occured to me. Oh and also the fact that i can't realy write short posts, and that my results'll be out in approx. like maybe 10 to 12 days time? Because it was rumoured to be out on the 1st week of march. and march is coming REALLY REALLY soon. sigh. well, gota go cheer myself up afer putting that depressing thought about results in my head....now where did i put that chocholate....or was it chips...hmmm...oh and bye!!


shini

No comments:

Post a Comment

feel free to comment!