Sunday, November 8, 2009

A first

HEY HEY HEY!!! Guess what I did TODAY???

A clue: it is FIRST for me. Not a very good clue I suppose cuz I haven't had a lot of firsts.

Fine, I tell you.

I BAKED ALL BY MYSELF!!!!

I have baked before, like chocolate chip cookies for valentine's day in j2 i think? some people might remember. thought probably not. anyway, it doesn't count, cuz Di was still in the kitchen, baking with me and she also helped me. THIS time, I was alone in the kitchen and I DID IT. I mean, okay, luckily my mother came home in time to tell me when to take out the biscuits, but hello? baby steps kay, baby steps. I will post a picture of my wonderful achievement tmr.

Most people are probably wondering, what's the big deal about me baking? That obviously means that YOU don't talk or listen to me enough.

I am not good with hot items. I'd rather not go NEAR a stove or an OVEN, though an oven is less intimidating than the damn stove. If I wanted, I could try and psycho-analyse this fear.

I would say that BOTH my parents, are fabulous cooks. My mother was brilliant first, then she taught my dad. He found that HE had a knack for it and made it his hobby. It helped that people constantly praised him for his wonderful cooking and its sort of a novelty that the dad cooks in the house, and the mum doesn't right? Especially in an Indian household. So naturally, us kids are sucked into the kitchen quite often. Made to chop veggies, stir curries or whatever, flip stuff. That sort of thing. Before the maid left, we didn't enter the kitchen very often. After she left, I was always there, washing up.
That was my main job see, washing the dishes. Di had to dry and put them away. The thing is, how did the fear or more like aversion to the stove and oven come about? Maybe its because I felt and still feel that my dad had very high standards for food. Both my parents have high standards for food. Also, maybe the heat of the stove and the noise, makes me extra stressed, cuz anything can go wrong and I JUST don't like the idea of wasting food because it tastes bad. I dread the day when I have to learn cooking from my dad. It would just make me hate cooking all the more. My mum's a better teacher in cooking, or baking which is her first love. Which is probably why I take to baking better than cooking. Its more of an exact science. Which makes me less stressed. Its like oven=mum, stove=dad. Ya know?

As it is, I don't like hot things, as I've said before, and both are very very hot. But of the two, If I had to choose, I'd take the oven. Not as unpredictable. I know I've GOT to learn some cooking eventually. Like basic Indian, and the dishes that I like. I mean have you ever heard of an indian girl who couldn't cook? Of course, i hope I wouldn't HAVE to cook and just make my dear future husband cook(should he exist), but one must assure the future mother-in-law that her dearest son doesn't STARVE, though the fact that he's perfectly welcome to cooking for himself would never cross her mind la. At least I can already clean the house, which is good cuz I'm NOT getting a maid. This post seems to be going in another direction, which is not my intention. This other direction shall be explored another day.

Anyway, going back to my original spiel, I WILL learn how to cook. But slowly. This is already an achievement in itself right?

love love!
shini

No comments:

Post a Comment

feel free to comment!