Monday, July 6, 2009

Magic and other things

I had intended to write about something when I first logged on but something else occurred to me when I was talking to my mother.

My mother is always extremely suspicious of me with guys. As in, she always puts on this suspicious face whenever she hears me talking to a guy on the phone or if I messaging a guy or if I'm meeting a guy and asks, " Who's that? I don't want any nonsense you hear me!". ALWAYS.

I suppose she's just looking out for my welfare and as a mother its only natural that she's worried about me falling prey to jerks. However, she just doesn't seem to realise 2 things. The first being that I think I'm smart and guarded enough not to fall for any ol asshole. And the second being that hello!! This is me we're talking about! I've managed to not even come close to having a relationship (r/s) in the 6 years since I've started secondary school. She thought I was safe in sec school because it was all girls, but since JC started, she's like been on tenterhooks! And for no reason whatsoever because all the guys I know are just good friends to me! I can't even imagine them in any other way! So you can understand how frustrated I feel when I causally mention that I'm meeting a very good (guy) friend of mine to like watch a movie, alone and she just completely erupts, even though I've known him for 2 and a half years and we really and truly will ever be good friends! I mean seriously, I'm not her! I wasn't called "heartbreaker" when I was in school (she totally was; she found out like 30 years later at a reunion) and I'm not even a smidgen as flirtatious as she is (note: is and not was). Sigh. She really need a chill pill.

Anyway, on to what I had come online for. Magic. I was re-reading this book by Diane Wyne Jones, called Charmed Life, and like finished it in 2 hours or so because is quite thin and it occurred to me that us humans seem very very interested in the idea of people having magic powers. The books and tv shows and movies that have magic involved in them, off the top of my head are like, Harry Potter, Charmed, Sabrina the Teenage Witch, Bewitched, and some others ( I did say off the top of my head) and I don't know I guess I just mean me because I am totally interested in all of them! Like there are different ways of portraying magic and somehow linking that with our real world. In Harry Potter, people use spells and potions and most need wands as a tool through which they conduct their magic through. They HAVE magic in their blood but they simply use the wand to be more precise I assume. Of course the magical community has to be hidden from the real world, the Muggles which is a concept often used with regards to magic. In Charmed, the 3 sisters each have a special power of their own, and later the 4th sister too. But there still is a magical community and a need to keep the magic a secret. They also use spells and potions but no wands. Interesting huh? Same with Sabrina the Teenage Witch, she points and uses spells but no wands. And again, must be a secret.

However this other book that I happened to re-read, was different. They didn't use wands and they didn't point. They didn't mention potions. Magic was being used all around them, like it was normal. But that doesn't mean that normal people, people without magic don't exist. They do. They exist side by side with the witches, warlocks, enchanters, necromancers, clairvoyants, and whatnot. Kids are taught normal lessons as well as magic lessons. The most powerful ingredient and most dangerous is dragon's blood. Very Very rare people who have 9 lives, hold a Government position and ensure the magical community toe the line. These people have 9 lives because their doubles in the other worlds, for some reason don't exist and all the other doubles are combined into one person. Yes, there are other worlds in this book. Which somehow helps to explain the possible existence of our normal real world and the world that exists in the book. I'm muddling myself up. You should go read it. Its really not like any other book about magic that I've ever read. And I also think believing in magic, whatever kind, is good for us. A little mystery never hurt anyone!

love love

shini

No comments:

Post a Comment

feel free to comment!