Sunday, March 29, 2009

wow wow double wow

Hmmmm...last night was fun. Interesting and quite enjoyable. Hold your horses, i'm not talking about any date with any guy( hahahahaHahahahahaHAHAHAHHAHA) but something else. I went to see the play The Winter's Tale, part of The Bridge Project, which was directed by Sam Mendes. You know the one where they advertise it in Orchard road and put faces of Ethan Hawke, Rebecca Hall and Sinead Cusack on the poster and they constantly announce it. Perosnally i don't know why Ethan Hawke was up on the poster because he wasn't a huge character in the play at all. Probabaly because a larger number of people can identify him. Well that's what i think anyway.

So yes, i went. I didn't have to pay for the ticket i got but i am not going to tell you how i got the ticket, just that i didn't pay for it. Hence when i was trying to find my seat, i sort of expected something far off even though it said Stalls row G. i mean the stalls are quite large, could be anywhere. Imagine my surprise when i found myself about 4 rows from the stage on the utmost left. At first i thought, well, there must be something wrong with the ticket, i couldn't have POSSIBLY got such an amazing seat, and yet there it was, stalls, row G, seat 28. My god was i HAPPY!!! Because i had been wondering if i should have brought or bought binoculars in case my seat was very very far away( like it had been for King Lear in 2007 where i was so high up if i looked down, i got vertigo,hence it was very handy to have my auntie's binoculars and the person sitting next to me would agree because the person used them too) but i so didn't!

And although i was by myself, i didn't feel lonely because i think that when you're watching a play, you're kind of interacting with the rest of the audience and the actors themselves. it was an excellent play and i give it both thumbs up with enthusiasm. Since it was in Shakespearean language, i thought i might not understand it even though i had read the sypnosis earlier on, becuase my understanding of the language is somewhat rusty after not even reading one play after my a levels 4 MONTHS AGO. However, i found that i COULD understand and even get the funny bits and i realised that its kind of backward sense , once you learn it, you don't quite forget it. Sure, i missed out on a lot of diaglogue that could have been properly deciphered but i figured in roder for me to see the irony in the words and the imagery, i have to read the play not watch it. I had been dying ot see a play since last year and i'm very glad i did now becuase it just re-inforced in me the very sure desire and knowledge that i love watching plays. Maybe even more than films.I'm still smarting from the fact i didn't see Avenue Q last year when it came but i shall not go into that. I am going ot make sure i see more plays this year, local ones especially, no matter what my mother might say.Just because she's over plays and has moved on to her film festival and guitar festival, doesn't mean i am.

The other thing that happened yesterday that was interesting was that i met my mother at the esplanade and we watched the lights go off on the buildings during earth hour and then come on again and had dinner and then met my sister for a late showing of Confessions of Shopaholic at Lido and I realised why it felt so weird to be out on a sat night with my mother. It was becuase i hadn't done it in a humongously long time!!!!! I told her and she said yeah! The day was excellent and was wonderfully ended with us finally having a repaired air-conditioner in out rooms so we slept in the lovely coolness and with new sheets(something my sister is fastidious about). The day was simple, no partying, no drinking(though i did want a cocktail at barbossa but i was scared i might fall asleep and besides, i only wanted it cuz i was sick of only having wine) and no huge groups of friends. Just my mum, sis and S. Quite a contrast to how some of you others spend staurday nights huh? especially since we only got home at 2 something. We have gone homw at 2 plus 3 plus before, from parent's friends' houses, and wedding dinners before but not from hanging out at town! Latest was like 1. Again and of course with our mother. And ONLY with our mother. You know, we should do this more often. Have a great rest of the weekend peeps!

shini

No comments:

Post a Comment

feel free to comment!