Sunday, June 14, 2009

toys and the best times

Hi. I got 2 thoughts to ponder about here. Spent the whole day out today, so obviously the things I saw, triggered these thoughts.

Firstly, at one point in time, we went to Robinsons because my mum needed to buy a toy for her colleague's new-born kid, so, of course we went to the children's section(fyi, we were in raffles city, so the men's department and the children's department were on the same floor). Anyway, my mum was walking around, looking for something to buy with us two trailing behind her. And it occured to me as we were entertaining ourselves with the toys around us that really, even teenagers, though we are WAAAAYYYYY too old for kiddie toys, we still are fairly entertained by them. Some games and toys right, even though we really shouldn't play with them, we secretly want to, no matter how a good childhood, toy-wise, we had. I mean I look at the latest toys and really want to buy some. For instance, on my birthday list I already have the Monopoly World edition, with the credit cards, even though I'll still miss the Monopoly cash. Somehow declaring bankrupt, when you credit amount says 0, via the little machine, isn't as dramatic and effective as actually SEEING that you physically have no more notes, and very few properties.

So yeah, I mean another example is that as a girl grown up on Barbie, I still like slowing down to look at the latest items in the Land of Pink that is Barbieland. I recently went into Toys r Us,and oh my god, MY sense went into overload and I totally wanted to just buy everything! Can you imagine a kid like just 1/3 or even 1/2 my age and how bombarded his sense would be?!
So my point here is that, don't ignore the kid in you, no matter your age, and have a little fun with kids toys, even if for a few minutes while walking through the kids section of a large department store. I know I do!

Okay, my second thought, is about the best age to be. Most adults or just people in general would say their 20s. And I won't agree. One's 20s is probably the time where they look their best, I mean that's what I hope for myself ( which is why when I enter uni, I promised myself that I would mirror my mother 25 years ago and go and run regularly at the track, cuz she looked damn fabulous in her 20s, thought I think it was totally wasted in her situation). However, I don't agree that its the best age to be at. This is my breakdown, and of course as usual, its just my naive opinion and its totally debatable.

20s- looks the best, but young and stupid. earning the least, but still expected to go out and work. Also scariest because you're out in the big working world for the first time and people take you seriously. Eager to learn, but prone to making mistakes and being stepped on.

30s-still look good BUT not as good in your 30s, hence unhappiness about it. Though for some individuals, their 20s were crap, so their 30s are fab. You're still fairly young, but got problem of getting married and having children. Ambitious, must prove that you've achieved something, but not as stupid as in 20s.

40s-looks deteriorating for most people and you're too busy with married life and children to fix them. Children at the stage when they need more attention and time ( GOT SCHOOL!!! previously, they were cute so you didn't notice your exhaustion, but now not so cute, more annoying so your exhaustion is more apparent to yourself). As a result, barely got time to have proper r/s with husband. Plus, if you're not in a good position work-wise, you feel like crap. Quite irritated and bitter about things that happened in your life. And still at the back of your mind,worrying about your looks. when you have the time of course.

50s- given up on caring how you look, you feel good so screw what anyone else thinks. Financial stability somewhat achieved, but you can't wait to stop working. Achieved wanted position in work, wise and smart now. Children more grown-up, don't rely on you so much, so you have more time for yourself. Same for husband. You're more settled about yourself, not killing yourself about your looks or your job, you're in a good place. In my opinion, the BEST TIME IN YOUR LIFE.

60s- even better. Almost at retiring time, and you still feel good about yourself. Hopefully achieved financial stability. If you're Singaporean, cannot retire yet, but you're slowing down, work-wise. Taking more of your health than your looks per say, but you know how to dress by now, according to your age and nothing over. Children hopefully in the process of getting married, with the wonderful idea of grandchildren coming along, while you're still active. Steady and established r/s with husband. Again, in a VERY good place in your life. In my opinion, the THIRD BEST TIME OF YOUR LIFE.

70s-very iffy. Some may still be flourishing, but others go downhill from here. Health-wise I mean. But then again, hopefully, you children and grandchildren would be caring for you by now.(if you had brought them up properly) Should be retiring by now I think, so maybe, new hobbies spring up. I do know that in surveys, you're way past the required age limit for many surveys, which tell you something. I am not going to comment on the 80s onward, because that depresses me.

Oh! forgot one thing. The teen years are the SECOND BEST TIME OF YOUR LIFE, in my opinion. You can say whatever you want, do whatever you want, even eat whatever you want, and nobody takes you seriously, cuz, you're technically a kid. People, meaning adults, just roll their eyes, and sigh exasperatedly, and basically wait till you grow up. How is that not great? Oh but got down-side. You're going through all these DAMN changes, physically, emotionally and mentally(which reminds me, must read Hamlet quickly before I get too old). So THAT sucks. But otherwise, its all goooooood!

So yeah, this is my naive opinion, and anyone is free to argue with me about it. But that's really just how I feel. Me and mum were discussing that today(by the way, mum doesn't KNOW I have a blog and I'd like to keep it that way. She's VERY AGAINST BLOGS. And believe me, she has her reasons.) and I wanted write this out completely somewhere. Of course I thought of here. Share your opinions on the above post peeps!

love,

shini

No comments:

Post a Comment

feel free to comment!